October 20, 2011

I'm doing it wrong!

My standards are very low these days. At 10 p.m. if the kids are in bed and I can find all of the baby bottles then I consider that day a success! Some days I look around at our messy, messy house and think, "What am I doing wrong?" I ask other moms "How do you do it?" I wonder, " Why can't I do it?"
Most of the time I feel like I just need to work harder. I feel embarrassed that our house is so messy.
But sometimes I really think hard about what I've done that day. Today I held Evan for hours, which is really irritating, but it won't be long until he too is a 4 year-old that won't let me hold him. So, time well spent. Today I took a quick nap with Braden when Evan was napping because I didn't get much sleep last night. Time well spent because it gave me the energy to deal with them until Mike got home. Today I picked up my parents from the airport and hung out with them because I haven't seen them in almost 3 weeks. Obviously time well spent. Today I took the boys to our playgroup Halloween party where they had fun and learned about loving our friends. ALWAYS time well spent. Today we ran around outside and played zombies with the neighbor kids. I watched the kids crunch leaves and feel the cold breeze and laugh and scream like crazy monkeys and I thought TIME WELL SPENT!
So tonight I'm going to bed at 11 hoping to get some sleep and hoping to have another great day tomorrow and hoping I can remember to be patient with my messy house. Because I didn't do anything wrong today.
I have a really messy house, but for me, my family and where we are right now...I'm doing it right!

3 comments:

  1. You will have SOOO many years to clean house when you are missing having "little ones"!!! You're doing a great job where it counts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are definitely doing it right! My excuse/motto is: I'm a superb stay-at-home mom, just a sucky housewife. Keep up the great mothering!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're such a good, mom, Heather! I wish I was more like you. This is what I try to remember and often forget and need to remind myself... love this.

    The cleaning and scrubbing will wait till tomorrow,
    for children grow up, as I've learned to my sorrow.
    So quiet down, cobwebs. Dust go to sleep.
    I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.

    ReplyDelete